Standing Still

One of the prompts from last month was to write a poem around lyrics from a new to you song.  I've chosen to quote a new Taylor Swift song, Down Bad, for this one.  The song is a new favorite.

I'm used to surviving by standing still
Let the earth shake
Let the lions taunt me.
If I don't run.
If I don't fight back.
I will still be here tomorrow.

I've been stronger before
But that wasn't me.
Now I stalk that memory.
Did you take all my old clothes?

I used to pull off boi.
Cutting up dresses 
And my arms 
Bare 
Just over the muscle.
It helped me cope
With pictures of you
In the hospital 
After what they did to you.

But that wasn't yesterday.
I don't tape my chest anymore
I had to go.
Just to leave me here naked and alone.

Standing still again.
In a field in my same old town.

Wish I could say I'm different now.
That I could inspire you
I just go through each day.
I just stand still.
That somehow seems so hollow now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitting Restart

Teenager Acrostic