The Journey of the Fool 6,7

6.
It happened that I came to an age
Where girls were not as repugnant as
Radishes set before me at dinner time.
I met her and I wanted to touch her
Immediately.
To grace her golden hair
And smell the rose petals thick on her skin.
I could barely speak as I approached her.
She asked me questions, dowsed in the familiar
But with riddles for bones.
Who was I, she wanted to know.
In the beginning I had no answers to give her.
She did not care.
I kissed her, I cared for her.
I wrapped myself in her skin for months.
But all at once she needed more
And I looked deep inside myself to please her.
For in that moment, to even think of loosing her
Caused my mouth to go dry and gummy.

7.
My breath was coarse, white on the air
As spring approached.
For the first time,
I would run down a race track on my own,
My parents not even looming in the audience.
The frost glittered in the mud
But it would not stop us.
It was all on me
And I knew I was the fastest,
That my legs would hit the ground
And the end would rise to meet me
First.
I would win.
I ran, one foot in front of the other,
Pushing my limits, sweat on my brow.
I was unsurprised at my success.
I held my metal in front of me
Buried deep in self approval.
My future was secured.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitting Restart

The Dark Swan/Part I